Here's what you can do to reduce the risk of experiencing disparities.
Protecting Yourself from Disparities
Sometimes, you just can’t easily change a bad experience. However, there are a number of things you can do to protect yourself from situations that may harm your health.
1. Make a list of things to discuss with your doctor
Questions to ask during your appointment:
- What is my diagnosis?
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the benefits of each option?
- What are the side effects?
- Will I need a test?
- What is the test for?
- What will the results tell me?
- What will the medicine you are prescribing do?
- How do I take it?
- Are there any side effects?
- Why do I need surgery?
- Are there other ways to treat my condition?
- How often do you perform this surgery?
- Do I need to change my daily routine?
- What questions haven’t I asked that I should have?